Monday, November 30, 2009

the 100 Promises project

I promise to say yes. I promise to press against back doors and wood floors. I promise to never improve my spelling. I promise to look at patches of ice differently. I promise to keep nostalgia in its place. I promise to picnic more. I promise to never change my answer to the "what do you want to be when you grow up?" question. I promise to pay attention to reflections and textures. I promise to have an obsession. I promise to say the things I'm thinking. I promise to get there. I promise to be there. I promise to know while I'm there that there's not a more perfect place to be. I promise to always be fascinated with [ ]. I promise to wish on flying stars, rather than wait for shooting ones. I promise to be careful with absolutes. I promise to make pro-con lists for difficult situations. I promise to preoccupy myself with my phone during awkward situations. I promise to never speak ill of something I have no first-hand experience of. I promise to get closer. I promise to forever remember the installation likening the formation of galaxies to the formation of spiders' webs. I promise to take sides. I promise to read tea leaves. I promise to give pencils their fair chance. I promise to get up to see the sunrise when I say I will. I promise to look for the adventure. I promise to pretend. I promise to build forts. I promise to deconstruct walls. I promise to keep all love letters. I promise to know the correct time to hold on. I promise to know the correct time to let go. I promise to not always have something to say. I promise to let smells form memories. I promise to let myself fall with less nerves. I promise to trust absinth over frosted flakes. I promise to be curious. I promise to collect. I promise to discard. I promise to stay awake for good reason. I promise to nap unnecessarily. I promise to decide. I promise to find a way to tell you. I promise to listen to the same songs over and over again, then never listen to them again. I promise to be abstract. I promise to get overworked less often by correspondence. I promise to put less faith in the things that will never fulfill basic expectations. I promise to like things for no reason. I promise to catch up. I promise to have the most eclectic collection in my basket when I go grocery shopping. I promise to act by instinct. I promise to never become the person who "smooths hair with automatic hand". I promise to hate Hemingway. I promise to love Duane Michals. I promise to paint with water balloons and darts. I promise to keep going. I promise to play. I promise to pray. I promise to create. I promise to sin. I promise to hope. I promise to think there's something beautiful about a door frame. I promise to let it pour. I promise to see things out of the corner of my eye. I promise to pull myself together. I promise to pull myself apart. I promise to confuse plans and fantasies. I promise to be secretly seven. I promise to watch popcorn pop in the microwave. I promise to find exceptions to every rule. I promise to leave post-it notes. I promise to climb onto rooftops. I promise to spin. I promise to wear impractical shoes. I promise to like impractical people. I promise to hate raisins. I promise to let stones teach me to fly. I promise to practice. I promise to improvise. I promise to remember the good. I promise to forget the bad. I promise to always have someone in mind. I promise to believe in virtues. I promise to indulge in vices. I promise to doubt less. I promise to hesitate less. I promise to love the game. I promise to make connections. I promise to hold close moments where hearts skip beats or breath is lost. I promise to tie ribbons. I promise to remember my promises, to you and myself. I promise to rhyme. I promise to like things that shimmer. I promise to pick the city. I promise to look for life's speakeasies. I promise to get chills. I promise to not settle. I promise to be honest. I promise to laugh. I promise to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment